Meraki Content Filtering Problems, Google Searches not Filtered

Meraki MX50

A couple weeks ago one of our IT Support Engineers ran into a substantial problems with one of our Local Fort Myers Business IT Clients. We had recently installed a Meraki MX70 Security Appliance in a fairly large environment. The client informed us that despite our thorough rules having been deployed, vulgar keywords were still showing up in Google Results. We found this to be incredibly strange and for the most part assumed that we had messed something up with the configuration. We opened a ticket with Meraki, who actually have really good support, and found out something quite astonishing.

The Meraki MX60, MX70 and MX80 have absolutely terrible content filtering. It’s apparently a known bug in these models that they have some sort of cache issue whereas the routers can’t keep up with the entire content filtering database. Meraki’s suggestion was to enable enforced safesearch on all of the clients. But as any IT technician will tell you that’s not a reasonable answer to this problem.

This is quite the shame as we absolutely love this Meraki equipment, it’s otherwise worked fairly well. Up until this point we had almost entirely gotten away from Sonicwall, but it looks like we’re going to have to go back to Sonicwall for a while until Meraki sorts out this peculiar bug.